HVAC Design Manual for New, Replacement, Additions, and Renovations of Existing VA Facilities (March 2011 with Amendments A and B) and HVAC Design Manual for Community Living Centers and Domiciliary (March 2011) are revised to combine both documents into one manual and to incorporate changes resulting from the following:
- International Building Code (IBC) Including IMC and IPC;
- ASHRAE Standard 170 – 2013 (Ventilation of Health Care Facilities);
- HVAC Design Criteria Revisions – Surgery Suite, SPS Suite, Animal Research, etc.;
- Coordination With Current VA Design Guides;
- Miscellaneous Corrections and Users’ Input;
- VA Sustainable Design Manual; and
- Addition of Requirements for Central Laundries, and Office Buildings.
This manual is intended for the Architect/Engineer (henceforth referred to as the A/E) and others engaged in the design and renovation of VA facilities. It is applicable to all Major Projects, Non-Recurring Maintenance (NRM) and Minor Construction Projects to ensure quality control and uniformity in design and construction practice and procedures. Use of this manual shall result in meeting the primary objective of providing environmental comfort to patients, staff, and visitors. The HVAC system shall be:
- Technically correct, complete, and coordinated;
- In compliance with all applicable safety standards;
- Easily accessible for repairs and maintenance;
- Energy efficient; and
- In compliance with prescribed noise and vibration levels.