This manual is intended as a guide for electrical engineers and designers (hereafter referred as the A/E) for the planning and design of the electrical power distribution and related systems (hereinafter referred to as systems) at Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities which are designed and constructed with VA construction budget, as well as owned, operated and maintained by VA.
VA requires the A/E to read, understand, and use this manual in the planning and design of the systems in VA owned construction projects – major, minor and non-recurring-maintenance (NRM).
In order to provide the latitude needed to incorporate new technologies and concepts, or to accommodate adverse existing construction conditions, technical deviations from the stipulations of this manual may be made. Deviation request(s) may be made only if a safe, reliable, and energy-efficient design shall result. Such deviation request(s) must be approved by VA’s Contracting Officer (CO) and Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). The A/E shall submit deviation request(s) in writing to CO and AHJ, through VA’s Project Manager (PM) and Contracting Officer Representative (COR). Veterans Health Administration (VHA) may require specific web-based procedure for this action; therefore, the A/E shall confirm specific procedure to submit deviation request(s) with CO, PM and COR.
At the minimum, request for deviation(s) shall contain the following elements:
- Narrative detailing reasons for the deviations;
- Narrative detailing the design and technical information relating to the deviations;
- Statement affirming that deviations shall comply with all public laws, federal regulations, executive orders, and latest applicable codes;
- Design drawings of the deviations (if applicable);
- Engineering calculations (if applicable);
- Estimate of cost impact caused by the deviations;
- Estimate of schedule impact caused by the deviations;
- Supporting documents such as existing site survey photographs, drawings and documents (if applicable); and
- Deviation request(s) shall be considered approved only after the A/E has received the written approval with signature from CO and AHJ.