Department of Energy (DOE) Standard (STD) 1020-2016 has three purposes:
- Provide criteria and guidance for meeting the natural phenomena hazard (NPH) requirements of DOE Order (O) 420.1C, Chg. 1, Facility Safety;
- Ensure that structures, systems, and components (SSCs) in DOE facilities will perform assigned safety functions during and after design basis NPH events; and
- Provide requirements and guidance in the use of industry building codes and voluntary consensus standards in meeting NPH requirements.
The purposes of this revision of DOE-STD-1020-2012 are to:
- Correct errors and omissions;
- Accommodate substantial changes in DOE-STD-1189-2016, Integration of Safety into the Design Process, and DOE Order 420.1C, Chg. 1;
- Endorse the use of International Building Code (IBC)-2015 for certain NPH-related situations; and
- Update the Standard’s reliance on industry standards and voluntary consensus codes.