The Core Principles of Sustainable Fleet Management Training is a virtual training session hosted by NREL that is designed to help agency fleet managers understand and implement optimal petroleum reduction strategies for each fleet location by evaluating the most appropriate combination of the four core principles of sustainable fleet management.
- Right-sizing the fleet to agency mission by implementing a vehicle allocation methodology study;
- Minimizing vehicle miles traveled;
- Increasing fleet fuel efficiency by replacing inefficient vehicles with more fuel-efficient vehicles, maintaining vehicles, driving more efficiently, and avoiding excessive idling; and
- Optimizing cost-effective alternative fuel use.
Julian Bentley, Principal, Bentley Energy Consulting, LLC Read Bio
Julian Bentley is the managing director and founder of Bentley Energy Consulting. He has more than 25 years of experience providing energy and environmental management consulting services, focusing on helping private- and public-sector clients improve energy management. Since 2007, Julian has supported the Federal Fleet Program, assisting federal agencies with developing and implementing comprehensive strategies to improve fleet efficiency, maximize alternative fuel use, improve fleet fuel management, reduce petroleum consumption, and meet regulatory requirements. He is a leading authority on electric vehicles, including their deployment and related charging infrastructure for fleets, and teaches courses on electric vehicles for George Washington University's Environmental and Energy Management Institute and the European Energy Centre. Julian received his M.B.A. from the Kenan-Flagler Business School, the University of North Carolina, and his B.S. in chemical engineering and economics from Carnegie Mellon University.
Upon completion of this webinar, attendees will:
- Identify the sustainability statutory requirements for Federal fleets;
- Recognize the process for completing a vehicle asset methodology (VAM) study;
- Identify measures and best practices for reducing vehicle miles travelled (VMT);
- Compose strategies to increase fleet fuel efficiency; and
- Develop site-specific strategies to displace petroleum with alternative fuel use, including maximizing use of existing alternative fuel infrastructure, installing alternative fuel infrastructure where practical (including electric vehicle charging stations), and aligning deployment of alternative fuel vehicles with fueling infrastructure.