This session explains the role of mechanical engineers in HVAC control system design and the concept of building control loop and its components. Building controls related Unified Facility Criteria(UFC) and Unified Facility GuideSpecifications (UFGS) are also highlighted, and some examples are used in introducing the basic steps in creating and editing building control sequences.Basic control sequences of unitary equipment, rooftop units, and Variable-Air-Volume (VAV) air handling system are also discussed.
Kevin Frost, Licensed HVAC Engineer, Slipstream
Ben Bartling, Licensed HVAC Engineer, Slipstream
Upon completing this course, you will:
- Define the responsibility of the mechanical engineer in HVAC controls design;
- Know the applicable Department of Defense design guidelines;
- List three components of control loop;
- Write a basic control sequence of operation; and
- Know basic control sequences of a VAV air handling system.