Professional Development Hours:
The corrosive severity of the waterfront environment has significant impact to DoD facilities. This course covers corrosion and corrosion prevention associated with waterfront and coastal facilities and structures such as piers and wharves and the components that comprise the structures. Components include bulkheads, pilings, structure framing, decks, utility trenches, dolphins, and fender systems.
Upon completion of this workshop, attendees will:
- Understand the corrosion challenges of the waterfront environment and the significance of the various waterfront zones;
- Identify the prevalent forms of corrosion in seawater and the marine environment;
- Identify typical materials used on waterfront structures, their limitations, and applicable protective coatings;
- Provide examples of repairs to waterfront structures associated with corrosion of various materials and;
- Introduce the concept of cathodic protection of waterfront structures. For more detailed information on the design, inspection, and maintenance of cathodic protection systems please consider taking the Cathodic Protection Basics learning module